Monday, October 14, 2013

Theme: Life of Pi

The theme of the book, "Life of Pi", by Yann Martel is to never give up, to keep on trying because if you try hard enough you will succeed. The main character of the book, Pi Patel survived something that could have killed him. He survived because he never gave up and he kept on trying. Pi's parents owned a zoo, and they were soon going to move to Canada. They moved on boat with all of the zoo animals. While they were at ocean, there was a big storm. It was night time and everybody but Pi was sleeping. Pi went to explore but instead, when he got to the deck he was hit with a gigantic wave of wind. Pi was hit with something he was never expecting. Soon enough, he was stranded in the middle of the Pacific ocean on a lifeboat with wild animals.

Pi survived this because he never gave up, he kept on trying to stay alive. Pi didn't think that he would survive, he didn't know what was ahead of him but either way he kept on trying and never gave up. For example, in the book, Pi says that "I was giving up. I would have given up-if a voice hadn't made itself heard in my heart. The voice said, 'I will not die. I refuse it. I will make it through this nightmare. I will beat the odds, as great as they are. I have survived so far, miraculously. Now I will turn miracle into routine. The amazing will be seen everyday. I will put in all the hard work necessary. Yes, so long as God is with me, I will not die. Amen.'" This shows that Pi believes that if he tries, he will succeed and trying would just be a daily routine. Pi knows that when trying, something good will always come out of it. Another example in the book is when Pi is fishing for anything to eat. Whenever he would get something, whatever it was, he would be so happy. In the book, Pi says, "I fished with a variety of hooks at a variety of depths for a variety of fish..... Success was slow to come, and when it did, it was much appreciated, but the effort seemed out of proportion to the reward." This shows that Pi highly appreciated what he got because whatever it was, was like a luxury. Even if he wouldn't get anything he would still keep on trying and put lots of effort into it.

In conclusion, the theme of the book, "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel is to never give up and to always keep on trying because in the end you will succeed. Pi went through something very horrific but he still kept on trying and at the end he succeeded. He was stranded on a lifeboat with a wild animal in the middle of the Pacific ocean and he still succeeded, he found land and he got along with the wild animal during the whole time he was at sea.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I liked how you described the theme of the book, and you had really good quotes.

    ReplyDelete