Sunday, March 9, 2014

Non-Fiction RR on Article


The article, Growing Up Saudi, by Karen Elliott House in an isue of Upfront Scholastic Magazine is about teens and young people in Saudi Arabia that are starting to question authority. Young people in Saudi Arabia have many laws that limit their “freedom”. They aren’t able to do the things a regular teenager would be able to do. 
There are many specific laws for them limiting their choices. For example, “Dating is forbidden. Movie theaters are banned. Concerts are outlawed” (SCHOLASTIC/House 15). A teenager in Saudi Arabia isn’t given the choice to live with freedom. Because of this they are starting to go crazy. 
Teenagers in Saudi Arabia want to have more freedom and be treated with respect. Since they aren't being treated the way they want to be they are rebelling. "Many young Saudis wonder when they'll be free to enjoy some of the fruits of the modern world" (SCHOLASTIC/House 16). "One young saudi man challenged the royal regime by filming grim life in a poor neighborhood in Riyadh and posting his dramatic nine-minute film on YouTube. The film went viral: More than 800000 Saudis watched it before the film make was arrested" (SCHOLASTIC/House 16). Not only because of the contents in this YouTube video the young man was arrested but he also would've been arrested just for posting a YouTube video. 
Teenagers in Saudi Arabia are starting to question authority becuase of their limit of freedom. They are beginning to rebel and say that they want more rights. They want to be able to live the way modern teenagers are able to live. 

4 comments:

  1. Dear Melissa, I really liked your Reading Response. I also wrote about the same article. I liked how you cited your sources. Overall I think you did a FANTASTIC JOB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the things I liked and appreciated the most were the quotes you used to support your points. You great detail from the text and facts/statistics. All in all, you did a good job and used good vocabulary.

      Delete
  2. I liked how in your reading response you added many quotes and statistics to explain details in the article. I also liked how you concluded your response with the ideas of teenagers in Saudi Arabia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked how your introduction was simple but still included the information we need to know about the article. Also I liked how you included different aspects the article included into simple statements. The evidence that was included after every statement supported it very well. A point in your response that made it stand out, was the elaboration that was elaborated after the evidence. It made your response stand out by making the readers know how the problems the article and the statements included wasn't just a small issue. The conclusion left off with a simple statement that left me off thinking. Overall good job on including strong evidence and statements.

    ReplyDelete